Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WIP Wednesday + My Hunger Games Origin Theory

Welcome to the weekly Work in Progress (WIP) Wednesday feature. Authors needed - all genres! Are you an author who'd like to share a 100- to 200-word blurb about a current work in progress on a future WIP Wednesday? If so, please send an e-mail to Erin O'Riordan (erinoriordan AT sbcglobal DOT net). 

Erin O'Riordan: In the past week, I've been editing a novel by Joe Cacciotti. It's titled Missed Opportunity. Although I have, in the past, edited novels in Joe's action-adventure Hurricane series, this one combines action with erotica and is Joe's second erotic thriller in a series. I don't believe that the first one has been published yet; last I heard, a publisher was looking at it. 



The hero is former Navy SEAL Jason Connors, and the heroine is FBI agent Susan Quinn. (Not to be confused with Susan Kaye Quinn, the young adult fiction author.) Susan, clearly, is an alpha heroine. She will not put up with shit. In Missed Opportunity, she's targeted by a serial killer with a nightmarish tendency to keep souvenirs of his victims. 

Meanwhile, Tit Elingtin and I spend an hour or so every morning reading out loud and editing the third book in the Pagan Spirits novel series, after Beltane and Midsummer Night . Its tentative title is St. James' Day

I have also finished the first draft of the zombie survivor short story, and that's also on deck, waiting to be edited. 

Having finished reading Fifty Shades of Grey, I'm now making my way through Mockingjay - somewhat disappointedly, since Pinterest spoiled a character death for me. Now, my theory of how The Hunger Games originated: 

http://screenrant.com/hunger-games-imax-banner-character-images-sandy-155918/hunger-games-president-snow-image/
President Snow got the idea from his great-great-great-grandfather, Mark Snow...



...who had the idea to drop Reese and Stanton into China and try to make them kill each other. What was the point of telling Reese to kill Stanton while also secretly telling Stanton to kill Reese if not to find out who the stronger operative was? Sounds pretty Hunger Games to me. 

Bard Constantine contends that any fictional character named Snow must necessarily be up to no good. I can't think of any other examples, though. Perhaps if I were a reader of George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series or at least watched Game of Thrones, I could tell you whether Jon Snow was a good guy or a bad guy. But I can't 'cause I don't.

The top three TV series my online friends tell me I should get into are:

1. Game of Thrones
2. Lost (Michael Emerson's previous series before Person of Interest)
3. Being Human - and I'm told the U.K. version is superior to the American version. 


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: