Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2019

'The Valley of Amazement' by Amy Tan

The Valley of AmazementThe Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Have I read anything else from this author? Yes, I read The Joy Luck Club in college. Nothing else since.

Was this book better than this author's other book(s)? No, it isn't as good as The Joy Luck Club, but that's a very high standard to live up to.

Was this book enjoyable? Yes, this book is highly enjoyable. I felt a strong, nearly instant bond with the main character, Violet.

Did I learn anything new from this book? I may have incidentally learned a little bit about the timeline of U.S.-China relations, but this book is meant to entertain, not teach history.

Where did I get this book? I bought this book from a library used book sale, originally for my grandma. She read it and I inherited a stack of her books when she passed away.

Do I recommend this book to other readers? Yes, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. If you liked The Invention of Wings or Hemingway's Girl, you might like this one too.

No comments: