Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Nonfiction: 'Trainwreck' by Sady Doyle

Trainwreck: The Women We Love to Hate, Mock, and Fear... and WhyTrainwreck: The Women We Love to Hate, Mock, and Fear... and Why by Sady Doyle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Doyle is somewhat preaching to the choir with me - I already love "difficult" women like Courtney Love despite their flaws (i.e. being human beings). Still, I was enthralled by this exploration of what happens when a woman in the public eye is judged to have become the wrong kind of woman in the public eye. It taught me more than I'd ever known before about Charlotte Bronte and Marie Antoinette - we're not good at teaching history and literature from the point of view of the women who experienced them. I highly recommend this book for anyone who participates in American popular culture on any level.

I borrowed this audio book from my local public library using the Libby app. I'm not obligated in any way to review it.

No comments: