Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Book Review: 'Sex Pot: The Marijuana Lover's Guide to Gettin' It On'

I myself am not a marijuana smoker. I've taken a few puffs in my day, but I don't care for the burning sensation in my throat. Plus, Irish Granny and Yiddish granny smoked cigarettes and both ended up with lung diseases that left them barely able to walk to the mailbox. That doesn't look like too much fun. I'll eat a great many things baked into chocolate brownies, but the one time I ate a third of a pot brownie, I totally tripped out and had to go to bed, where I dreamed extremely vivid Technicolor cartoon dreams. That was the end of that phase of experimentation.

Still, I was excited to read Sex Pot: The Marijuana Lover's Guide to Gettin' It On by "cannabis columnist" Mamakind, also known as Lisa Kirkman (Quick American Publishing, August 2011). I love a good sex guide - and this is one. Does it devote pages to the combining of smoking weed with sexual activities? Yes, it certainly does.

It does more than that, though. Mamakind, experienced columnist for SKUNK Magazine, answers all kinds of sex questions. She's more than a columnist, though - she's an activist, and in this tome, she gets to wave the flag of freedom for all consenting adults who claim the right to make our own sexual (as well as pharmaceutical) choices. This erotica writer can't help but love her liberated love-and-let-love philosophy.

Mamakind herself is rather fascinating. She's a smart, pop culture-savvy, bisexual Canadian of Jewish descent whose BDSM preferences tend toward the submissive. (The cover portrays a curvy cartoon female with some serious red - and a pot leaf tattoo - on her behind. Mamakind's cartoon doppelganger?) She may be a self-confessed stoner, but she seems to know of which she speaks.

The questions she fields include:

*Is it possible for growing plants to soak up sexual energy?
*Is my boyfriend normal? He wants to role-play that I age into an 80-year-old while we make love.
*How can I get my penis to stop humming?

I half suspect that second question may be from Bella Swan, but that's beside the point. The point is, Mamakind makes some interesting and persuasive arguments. I liked her comparison of women as "candyfloss without the sticky" and of men as "the stick left over after the candyfloss, sticky included." (Apparently Canadians use the English word "candyfloss" where Americans would say "cotton candy.")

My favorite quote was this: "Love between consenting adults is never something to be avoided...nor is mind-blowingly good sex."



Image: Creative Commons, generic license
I received an Advanced Digital Pre-Press Copy of this book at no charge from its editorial director. I was not otherwise compensated for this review.

3 comments:

Nora B. Peevy said...

Hi Erin,

We appear to be the only blog hop people this weekend. Hope more show up. Your entry title intrigued me. Sounds like an entertaining read. I myself am a huge fan of the show, Weeds. I don't put anything in my body that doesn't let me be in control -- just a personal preference. I especially hate smoke too. My father is 78 and now has emphysema, along with his heart problem and other health issues. I recently lost an uncle to emphysema too. I think I will skip that in old age, thank you!

Hope to see you hop by!

-Nora

Unknown said...

Sorry this is so late. Holiday weekends get busy and then before you know it, poof! 3 days gone. This sounds like an interesting book. I'm remembering my younger days....lol

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thanks for hopping by, Nora. The blog hop was a little thin last week - maybe because of the holiday weekend.

Gabrielle, it's never too late for a blog comment!