Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Highlights From My Day in Music, April 29th, 1999

Still being in self-imposed Covid-19 quarantine, I've broken into my old diaries, day planners, and sketchbooks quite a bit lately.

https://thatwritererinoriordan.tumblr.com/post/614930722479816704

Perhaps you too have a special interest during the quarantine time; mine is music from the '90s.

April 29th, 1999 was a really good day. It was the first time I ever went to the South Bend Chocolate Cafe, but the last time as a college student I ever went to Notre Dame's Acoustic Cafe (open mike night). Although I sometimes played guitar and did a little singing at Acoustic Cafe, on that night I only listened.

The following songs were songs I heard covered by fellow students. First a group of two women performed this 10,000 Maniacs song:



They followed up this performance with an Indigo Girls cover:


Next up was another group of two women. (Unfortunately, I didn't record any of the names of the performers that night.) They first performed this Ani DiFranco song:


That's probably my favorite Ani DiFranco song, still to this day. Their next cover of the same artist was the following:


Also a very good one. The young women were followed up by a male solo singer who sang an original song about waffles, which he warned us in advance would have an "inappropriate" verse. This verse was about wanting to have sex with dining hall waffles. It contained a lyric something along the lines of:

"I'm gonna eat you...
And I wish you could eat me!"

I quite enjoyed this orally fixated tune. This young man was followed by a friend of a friend (Nina) of a friend (Alissa), who did a Foo Fighters cover, but I don't remember which one. The last act I enjoyed that night was a performance by a male friend of Alissa's friend Carla. He played and sang this U2 classic:


In the past I've been a very big fan of U2. Then in 2016 I got quite upset at Paul "Bono Vox" Hewson for making sexist comments, as you can read about here. Since he appears to have sincerely learned from and grown from the reaction to his sexist remarks, I'm not upset with Bono anymore.

Which is good, because I still really enjoy an occasional U2 oldie.

https://thatwritererinoriordan.tumblr.com/post/613764193969209344/a-typewritten-lyrics-sheet-and-image-of-billie

Stay safe, wash your hands, and continue to support your favorite artists in all genres!

No comments: