Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Diary Entry for March 17, 1997

Music

At noon I went to the Little Theater of Moreau Hall and heard Noah and Irene Carver, folk singers. They're a husband and wife. They sang two Joni Mitchell songs ("Big Yellow Taxi" and "Both Sides Now"), a James Taylor song, "Here Comes the Sun," "This Land Is Your Land" (with one guitar and one autoharp), a couple of traditional folk songs, and some of their own. 

The first song Irene sang was:

"Baby, now that I found you, I can't let you go,
I built my world around you, I need you so,
Baby even though you don't need me..."

I think she said the writer's name was Alison Proust.* I've heard it on the radio, performed by ? I had a lot of fun at this performance. 


While I was home for "spring" break I got into the [vinyl] records, and I found a single, some unknown group's cover of "Big Yellow Taxi." It sounded familiar; I think a new cover of it was on the charts within the past year. 


Furthermore, I found old country-western records; Johnny Cash singing "Goodnight Irene," a version of "Stand By Your Man," some cool stuff. 



Cultural Activity

I took a look at the Women's Art Exhibition which is set up in LeMans Hall. Cool. Someone made a dress out of ties, and there was another cloth sculpture which incorporated a live goldfish in a bowl. 

The only name I recognized was Poogie Sherer. She had two sculptures in the exhibit. The better one was "One Woman Army," consisting of a girl-sized ceramic bulletproof vest over a small red satin dress. The other looked rather like a tortoise shell being used as a gong. 

Joke

Noah Carver told this one:

There were two clams, Sam and Dave, They were friends, but they couldn't agree on what kind of music to listen to. Sam liked disco; Dave liked Classical.

One day someone stepped on Sam, and he died. Eventually Dave died, and when he got up to heaven he asked St. Peter if he could see Sam.

St. Peter said, "I'm sorry, Sam's not here, he's down there." 

Dave asked if he could go see Sam, and St. Peter said, "Okay, but I can't let you back in without your harp."

So Dave went "down there" and Sam was having a good time with all the clams, listening to disco music. After a while Dave went back up to heaven. 

St. Peter said, "Where's your harp?"

Dave said, "I left my harp in Sam's clam disco."

No comments: