Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

#ReadBlackAuthors 'Hustling 101: Selling Your Talent Without Selling Your Soul'


This book does contain some useful advice, and for that reason, I would recommend it to young people (middle school, high school, and college students especially) who want to know how to make money and/or make the best use of their talents. It is a good beginner's guide to how to take care of yourself as able-bodied adults are generally expected to do.

I would have loved to give this book five stars, but it has a serious editing problem. I noted at least two places in which identical text is repeated on two different pages. It also contains a section of biographies of famous hustlers, and these are edited in a funny way, omitting some of the most well-known accomplishments of the individuals.

I became familiar with Rebecca Scott, who sometimes answers to the nickname Holly Hood, on YouTube. She's an absolutely fascinating woman: a native New Yorker, daughter of an African mom living in America and an Indian-American father, former musician (she still has a wonderful singing voice) and producer, occasionally homeless, physically disabled, deeply intelligent though self-taught, a Christian, a conspiracy theorist, a very kind woman, not perfect (as none of us are) but clearly well-intentioned. I certainly don't agree with everything she believes, but I try to listen to her with an open mind, because she does possess a good deal of wisdom, and a lot of the more practical things she suggests are spot-on.


So I really wanted to like this book, and it does have a practical value, but I do hope the author will come out with another edition that fixes the editing errors. If that happens, I will edit my review to reflect that there is newer edition available.

I purchased this book with my own funds from Amazon.com and was not obligated to review it in any way. As part of Black History Month, I'm making an effort to read and support authors of African descent.

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19132109-hustling-101

No comments: