Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Put Your Drinks Up For Nebraska

On Mondays I hook up with Pinning! at A Night Owl Blog/Baxtron{Life}. On Wednesday, it's Oh, How Pinteresting! at The Vintage Apple.



Honestly, the first thing I think of when I think of Nebraska? Cornhuskers football - as a Notre Dame opponent. One night I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton in downtown Chicago the night before the Notre Dame-Nebraska game, and the lobby was a sea of red Cornhuskers sweatshirts. 

As you know, my pop cultural obsession is the Thursday night CBS drama Person of Interest...

...which is why my second-greatest celeb crush (after Christian Bale - always, always Christian Bale) is Jim Caviezel...

...causing me to watch The Thin Red Line (a 1998 film also starring Nick Nolte and Sean Penn)...

...triggering my American literature obsession, which in turn caused me to read James Jones' wartime trilogy, the first book of which is From Here to Eternity...

...causing me to get a bit obsessed with Montgomery Clift, old school Hollywood hottie (visit Clift-Notes on Tumblr to see about a thousand gorgeous pictures of him), born in Omaha, Nebraska. Combine this with the fact that I listen to Lady Gaga every day, and I always be hearin' "You & I" with its reference to "my cool Nebraska guy," I dedicate this Monday Pinterest post to the cool people of Nebraska. Did you know that Marlon Brando was also from Omaha?



So was another dude who merits a shout-out in Madonna's "Vogue" (and "Billionaire" by Peaches), Mr. Fred Astaire. 



Gorgeous Gabrielle Union is also an Omaha native.



Former U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser is from Nebraska, and so is Nicholas Sparks. 



The breathtaking and ever-so-talented Hilary Swank is from Nebraska.



So is Marg Helgenberger. Do you get the impression that Nebraska is a seriously good-looking state or what?!



Oh, and Nick Nolte, too. Also from Omaha. Apparently, he was arrested there as a youth for selling fake i.d.s to youngsters interested in buying liquor. Naughty. 



Nolte's character in The Thin Red Line, Lt. Col. Tall, has little to no reservations about trying to force his subordinates, 1st Sgt. Welsh and Capt. Staros, to use C-for-Charlie Company as cannon fodder as they try to recover a crucial airfield from the Japanese army. I'm only about 100 pages into the book thus far, so I haven't really gotten to Tall yet. 

One thing you won't see in the movie: the scene in which the men get drunk off Aqua Velva aftershave mixed with grapefruit juice. Don't try that at home, kids. 

But, of course, no Nebraska post would be complete without Lady Gaga's cool Nebraska guy, Luc Carl. He looks like the kind of guy who would have bought one of Young Nick Nolte's fake  i.d.s. 




No comments: