Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

In which I reach the end of 'From Here to Eternity' and approach 'The Thin Red Line'

I thought I would celebrate my having finished reading all 860 pages of From Here to Eternity with a few pictures. At first I was like, "Oh my god, James Jones, your book is so big. I don't know if it's going to fit - in my brain." Then I drank a glass of wine, and I was like, "Challenge accepted." 

The pictures are from the movie, of course. From IMDB. I haven't seen the movie yet (Netflix willing, tomorrow), so I can only base these on what I read. 

Men in the '40s were different from the men of today.

No, wait - they're exactly the same.

Of course, things do not end happily for Pvt. Robert E. Lee Prewitt. He's put himself in an untenable position - can't go back to the Army, can't stay away from it, either. In the end, it's just Karen Holmes and Alma "Lorene" Schmidt, returning to the mainland a little sadder and a little wiser. 

Obviously, Lorene and Karen should get together and have a torrid lesbian affair. Karene, they could be called. Men have been nothing but trouble for them. It would not hurt little Dana Holmes Jr. to have two mommies. That kid's got way too much testosterone for an 8-year-old anyway. 

Karen IS a bitch, but I respect her bitchhood. She's earned it. 

Now, onto The Thin Red Line, where there are no women, unless you count letters from Bell's wife. This one's only 417 pages - piece of cake. 

No comments: