Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Hanukkiot Riot



Put on your kippahs - it's time for Hanukkah!



You know what that means - for four nights now, if you've been celebrating the Festival of Lights, you've been lighting your hanukkiah.

I know, I know - everybody calls them menorahs. According to Tamar Fox, to be technically correct, "Menorah" should refer to the original oil-burning lamp, located in the Temple of Jerusalem, that represented Moses' burning bush. In commemoration of the Menorah, we light a hanukkiah - the plural is hanukkiot.







That one was cookies; this one is made out of peanut butter and jelly.



Spiderman, the Hulk, Wonder Woman - not Jewish. Wanna know which superheroes celebrate Hanukkah? See this post.



My personal favorite is the one that's made out of books. I am a little concerned that this may be a fire hazard. (It's the Irish side of my family that has the firefighters, my grandpa and uncle.)



Finally, I give you the Hanukkiah Martini. The pin didn't link directly to the source, but I tracked it down to this page at Knoxville.com. (They call it a Menorah Martini, but you and I know better.) It's vodka, sweet vermouth and blue curacao.



No comments: