Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Highly Susceptible to Fiction - SOC Sunday

Today’s (Optional) Writing Prompt: Have you ever gotten so engrossed in a book that is seemed to spill over into your real life? Tell me about it.



Hooking up with AllThingsFadra for Stream of Consciousness (SOC) Sunday. (Fadra baked bread after listening to the Hunger Games audiobook.)

I am highly susceptible to fiction, whether I'm reading it, watching it or writing it. I did just read The Hunger Games, and I really enjoyed it, but I can't think of anything that it influenced me to do. I can tell you that when I'm writing fiction, I'll go miles out of my way to experience something firsthand.

Once I stopped into a gas station for a cup of coffee and I thought the clerk would make a really interesting character. After mulling him over for a few days, I kinda started to stalk that gas station - not a  usual stop for me - to see if he would be there again. I wanted my inspiration fix. After the story was written, I just went back to my usual coffee spot.

True Blood makes me want to drink red wine.

And yes, it's true that for weeks after I saw the Daniel Radcliffe film The Woman in Black, I was a little worried that the closet adjacent to my master bath was haunted. I got into the habit of flicking on the hallway lights to drive away the ghosts before I got to the bathroom.



There you go...exactly five minutes.


Follow on Bloglovin


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOL'd at that picture. I am going to have to post this to my FB page.

The writers need to find inspiration is hard to put off. I think that is why I love fiction so much. It allows you to make your own conclusions. You can visualize things based on your own creative mind.

And yeah, I was a little creeped out by The Woman in Black (movie). I wonder if the book will leave me with the same feeling...

a.eye said...

There were so many horror movies that I watched that led me to check certain areas of the house when I was younger!

Erin O'Riordan said...

If Daniel Radcliffe has taught us anything, it's this: forget the Shrieking Shack, because the most haunted house in Britain is definitely, definitely Eel Marsh House.

Tracie Nall said...

My husband likes to hand his jackets on the ironing board that is leaning up against the wall, and when I walk to the bathroom late at night with the lights off, it looks exactly like the shape of a person standing by the door. So freaky. If I've recently watched a scary movie, I notice that I turn those lights on more quickly.

Leah said...

I know exactly what you mean! After seeing Paranormal Activity, I was convinced there was a demon in my house! In fact, there was a toy low on batteries, that started beeping loudly. I almost moved out until I finally found the darn thing!

Ash @paperheart12 said...

Oh you all are very brave. I can't even watch scary things at all. As a mommy blogger- my inspiration is every moment of my day, the good and the crazy.

Gina said...

I love the idea of you stalking the gas station. Must look for inspiration everywhere. I found some today myself!

Rachee said...

I'll read all of the thrillers in the world, but watch a spooky movie? Nope!
I love your idea of seeing a real life person and making him into a character. I have got to work on my people watching skills and give this a try.
-r

Shah Wharton said...

Lol - you stalked the poor guy! Bet he thought you had the hots for him, then vanished.

I watched The Woman in Black at the theatre few years back in West End - brilliant. Watched the movie the other day and although Daniel was great as always (good to see him as an adult and I never thought of Harry Potter - who know?) the movie was only okay for me and my husband. Perhaps because we know the story? They changed the end too. Bit corny for my liking. No where near as good as I'd hoped.

True Blood makes me want to get sexy - Twilight makes me want to fall in love again, any kind of period drama makes me want to write for some reason. Fiction totally influences me. :)

Erin O'Riordan said...

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest horror movie ever, but I did enjoy Dan's performance. It was nice to see him with a wife and child - y'know, a wife other than Ginny.

all.things.fadra said...

I do NOT like scary movies. Probably for the reasons you mentioned. It stays with me. When you mentioned the gas station clerk, I immediately thought of the scene in No Country for Old Men. Most memorable scene ever!

Erin O'Riordan said...

Oh, I know - Javier Bardem will possibly always give me the creeps because of that film, exactly the way Ralph Fiennes has given me the heebie-jeebies ever since 'Schindler's List.'