Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Hanukkah Hotness, Night 5: Mila Kunis

Happy December! I hope you're having a lovely winter holiday season so far, whether or not you're observing Hanukkah.

A lot of people don't even realize Mila Kunis is Jewish. My dad thought she was Latina, and keep in mind, my dad is married to an ethnic Jewish woman. But she's from a Ukrainian Jewish family, born in what at the time was the USSR. Her parents tried to raise her as a religious Jew as much as they could in the Soviet Union, where religion was severely repressed.



I'm gonna be brutally honest here: Mila Kunis is here more because I think she's absolutely gorgeous than because I like a whole bunch of the work she's done. Like most people, I remember her mainly from That '70s Show on Fox. It's not one of my all-time favorite shows.



It is, however, kind of fun to imagine that Kunis' character Jackie Burkhart is a more grown-up version of spoiled young Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Kunis played Rachel, the flirtatious hotel receptionist, in Forgetting Sarah Marshall with Jason Segel. Okay, I kinda love that movie. She co-starred with Justin Timberlake in Friends with Benefits, which I found neither very funny nor very romantic.



She was in Oz the Great and Powerful (as a witch) with fellow Hanukkah hottie James Franco. I haven't seen it yet, although I'm guessing my 7-year-old niece has. For a while, she walked around handing everyone notes written on Oz the Great and Powerful stationery from the dollar store, and she suggested we pretend there was an evil witch with flying monkeys, flying dinosaurs, and flying maids and butlers. (The irony is that her father, my brother, was terrified of the flying monkeys as a child and used to hide behind the couch during selected parts of The Wizard of Oz.)



I also remember Kunis from The Book of Eli, a not-particularly-good post-apocalyptic thing with Denzel Washington. She played a small role in the Tina Fey comedy Date Night (again with James Franco, playing characters named Whippit and Taste).



Her next project after that was Black Swan, which is my favorite of her movies. Here she starred opposite fellow Hanukkah hottie (tomorrow) Natalie Portman. (Winona Ryder plays a small role in it as well.)



Jewish women: our relationship with black eyeliner goes back to ancient Egypt.




Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks awesome!! Absolutely gorgeous! http://www.getseats.com/

Erin O'Riordan said...

She's a beautiful, beautiful woman, and very funny, and very talented.