Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

My Spotify Top 99 of 2023, Annotated, Part 2

Part 1 Here

12. "Everything's Alright" - original cast of Jesus Christ Superstar

13. "Black Parade" - BeyoncĂ©

14. Born This Way - Lady Gaga

15. "Nobody Told Me" - John Lennon

16. "I Want a Little Sugar In My Bowl" - Nina Simone
As heard in Point of No Return (1993) starring Bridget Fonda and Gabriel Byrne

17. Too Much - Carly Rae Jepsen


18. "Red Right Hand" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (the Peaky Blinders theme song)

19. "America Has a Problem" - Beyoncé with Kendrick Lamar

20. Rehab - Amy Winehouse

21. "Sappho" - Frankie Cosmos

22. "Material Girl" - Kris Bowers. From the Bridgerton soundtrack; I've neither read nor watched the Netflix Regency romance series, but I like these pop songs done in a chamber music style. 

23. "Suerte" - Shakira

24. Annabel Lee/The Bells - Lou Reed

25. "Chromatica I" - Lady Gaga

26. Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners

27. "Gooey (Gilligan Moss remix)" - Glass Animals

28. Too Much (Acoustic) - Melanie Chisholm

29. "Chromatica II" - Lady Gaga

30. "Drunk (And I Don't Wanna Go Home)" - Elle King, Miranda Lambert

31. "Eames" - Polar Inc.

32. "Hung Up on Tokischa" - Madonna with Tokischa

33. You and I - Lady Gaga. The music video is a Frankenstein story. I had this idea the other day: Someone should write a novelization of the video. 

34. "You'll Be Back" - Hamilton soundtrack, Jonathan Groff

35. "Celebrity Skin" - Doja Cat. Did anybody else use to sing this on Rock Band?

36. "The Raven" - Lou Reed

37. "Tik Tok" - Kesha

38. Paper Planes - M.I.A.

39. "Cain't Use My Phone (Suite)" - Erykah Badu

40. "I'm On Fire" - Bruce Springsteen

41. "This Is Me" - Keala Settle from the Greatest Showman soundtrack

42. "Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)" - Bananarama

43. "Inside Out" - Eve 6

44. "Heart of Gold" - Tanya Donelly

45. "Heart Shaped Box" - Nirvana


46. "Can't Help Falling In Love" - UB40

47. "Never Enough" - Loren Allred from the Greatest Show soundtrack

48. "911" - Lady Gaga

49. "Get Into It (Yuh)" - Doja Cat

50. "You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween" - Muse

51. "UMF" - Duran Duran

52. "Hold My Hand" - Lady Gaga

53. Love On the Brain - Rihanna

54. "Come As You Are" - Nirvana

55. "Into the Mystic" - The Wallflowers (cover of a Van Morrison song)

56. "Drunk (And I Don't Wanna Go Home)" - Elle King, Miranda Lambert - GOLDHOUSE Remix

57. "Shallow" - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper

58. "Footloose" - Kenny Loggins. Remember, Tit Elingtin and I saw the musical live on stage in 2023.

59. Here With Me - Dido

60. "Creep" - Radiohead. The original; in the past I've been quite taken with the Scala & Kolacny Brothers cover that was used on The Simpsons (production code PABF04). Also used in Rock Band.

61. Paparazzi - Lady Gaga


62. "Mo Money, Mo Problems," The Notorious B.I.G., Mase, Diddy

63. "What's Up?" - 4 Non Blondes

64. "Our Love Is Done" - Hannah Juanita

65. "Do What You Want" - Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera

66. "Glory of the 80s" - Tori Amos

67. "The River of Dreams" - Billy Joel

68. "No Myth" - Michael Penn

69. "How Will I Know?" - Whitney Houston - Tit and I also saw The Bodyguard, the musical, live on stage in 2023.

70. "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here" - Bob Dylan

71. "Sirius" - The Alan Parsons Project. Which I believe was some kind of hovercraft. (That's a Simpsons reference, but in real life, this is the song that traditionally introduces the starting lineup of the Chicago Bulls.) 

72. "Bitch I'm Madonna" - Madonna with Nicki Minaj

73. "Queen of the Night" - Whitney Houston

74. Trouble - P!nk

75. "Poor Me Israelites" - Desmond Dekker. I know this song from the soundtrack of Drugstore Cowboy.

76. "Unholy" - Sam Smith, Kim Petras

77. "Drugstore Rock N Roll" - Janis Martin

78. "Malibu" - Hole

79. "Ho-Down" - Paula Abdul

80. "Never Ever" - All Saints

81. "Crush With Eyeliner" - R.E.M.

82. "Can't Stop Lovin' You" - Van Halen

83. "Sleepwalker" - The Wallflowers

84. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex

85. "Helena" - My Chemical Romance

86. "Party in the USA" - Miley Cyrus

87. "The Devil's Waltz" - The Wallflowers

88. "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie

88. "Annabel Lee RIP" - MC Lars

90. I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song) - The Ikettes

91. "Dive Bar In My Heart" - The Wallflowers

92. "Blister in the Sun" - Violent Femmes

93. "Country Pie" - Bob Dylan

94. "Rock Your Baby" - Wanda Jackson. Goddess bless Wanda Jackson. She is 86 years old and recently put out a cover of Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts" with Leilah Safka. (Leilah's mother Melanie Safka, who performed under the mononym Melanie, had such hits as "Brand New Key.")

95. In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins

96. "Mysterious Ways" - U2

97. Invisible City - The Wallflowers

98. "Come on Eileen" - cover by Saving Ferris

99. "Toxic Pony" - Britney Spears/Ginuwine mashup

No comments: