Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

SOC Sunday: Thoughts on Fate and Tikkun Olam


Today’s (Optional) Writing Prompt: What’s your take on fate? Does everything happen for a reason? Are we in control of our own destiny?

Find the rules and the link-up on this writing prompt/5-minute brain dump at AllThingFadra.

I don't tend to believe that "everything happens for a reason," because some really, really horrible things happen. I do believe in a supreme being (which I call by various names and conceptualize in a variety of forms), and I have a tough time with the concept of that being willing human beings to suffer terribly.

I know some people believe that suffering is necessary to somehow "purify" a soul (I remember this from Catholic school) - sort of the "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" theory, although in some cases suffering does physically kill you, and it's the soul that's supposed to get stronger.

I believe we have more free will than that. I believe from moment to moment, we're called to choose the actions that will cause other human beings to suffer less. I believe in the Jewish concept of tikkun olam, "heal the world." I believe we have a choice between compassion and indifference, and to "be good" and "do right" we have to constantly choose compassion.

No comments: