Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Drinkify: Brilliance or Balderdash?

I owe this post to Little Luck Tree, a craft/art/beauty/truth blog by Shannon. It's a gorgeous blog and you should absolutely check it out; I especially loved her silver bullet werewolf necklace and vampire-bite necklace crafts.

Shannon also made me aware of Drinkify.org, which is either a work of sheer inspiration OR a really stupid time-wasting random generator.

Simply put, you tell Drinkify what music you're listening to, and it tells you what you should be drinking. (You're under no obligation to comply. It's actually more of a suggestion.) It also plays a sample of your music, with matching band graphic and album cover.


For example, I type in the late, great Etta James, and it tells me I should mix 2 oz. Hennessy, 2 oz. coconut milk and 1 oz. elderflower cordial in a highball glass, then garnish with cucumber. That seems appropriate.

(Obviously made by Americans, since the WHOLE REST OF THE WORLD pours drinks metrically.)

Suppose I were listening to Maroon 5 as I write this. (I am.) It would again suggest elderflower cordial, this time 10 oz., mixed with 10 oz. Glenmorangie Scotch (you may have some left over from your January 25th Burns Night Supper!) and 8 oz. club soda. I dunno - that one doesn't sound great to me. Plus, I thought there would be Manischewitz.

I don't think it quite nailed Lady Gaga either, suggesting vodka, neat, garnished with an olive. Surely something more theatrical would be more appropriate? Shouldn't it at least be birthday cake-flavored vodka, garnished with a burning glitter candle?

I typed in a few literary-themed bands, and this is what Drinkify suggested:

Shakespeare's Sister: vodka and cranberry juice

Moby: 6 oz. gin on the rocks

Poe: gin again, this time with Red Bull and lime juice, garnished with a maraschino cherry

(Red Bull is, in itself, a literary reference - to a character in Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn. But I digress.)

So, is this thing brilliant, or is it just random?

Image: Rick A., Creative Commons license

2 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Sound pretty brilliant to me. All drinks mentioned (and music for that matter) totally appeal to me. :) X

Shannon said...

Thank you so much for your sweet words!

Now I need to go experiment with elderflower cordial!