Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Hanukkah Hotness, Night 1: Robert Downey Jr.

Happy first night of Hanukkah! I love how the Festival of Lights falls around the Winter Solstice this year. This is my Hanukkah gift to you, my readers: eight crazy nights of Hanukkah Hebrew hotties. First up is a guy I mentioned in my Howl post the other day as one of David Strathairn's co-stars in Good Night, and Good Luck: Robert Downey Jr. (originally, Robert Elias.)


I have a confession to make: for years, I thought Robert Downey, Jr. was bisexual. I don't know where I got such information (probably from National Enquirer, which Yiddish grandma used to read with regularity, then pass on to me), but it doesn't seem to be true. All his significant relationships have been with women, including the red-hot Yiddish mama Sarah Jessica Parker. I won't hold being a straight guy against him, but it does ruin my vision of RDJ ascending into GLBT heaven, where he would sit at the right hand of James Dean. Amen.

(In actual spiritual practice, RDJ does not believe in heaven. He's a combination of Jewish, Buddhist and Hare Krishna.)

He is in a particularly awesome Elton John video. I love that this is one continuous take, no cuts.



RDJ is best known as Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes these days, but he got his start acting in Less Than Zero, the film adaptation of possibly the second-best Bret Easton Ellis novel, after American Psycho. This landed him in a Bangles video, the Simon & Garfunkel cover from the soundtrack. (As an added bonus, Bangles lead singer Susanna Hoffs is also Jewish!)



He's also a Shakespearean actor: he was in Richard III with Sir Ian McKellan and Dominic West. (West played Lysander in the 1999 A Midsummer Night's Dream - with David Strathairn.)

Photo by Alan Light


Join me HERE on December 28th for a special Hanukkah post and giveaway.


1 comment:

Erin O'Riordan said...

RDJ is a straight guy, true, but that doesn't mean we can't fangirlishly ship Holmes/Watson, or Captain America/Iron Man. The latter would look something like this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/46936021087045449/