Pages

Monday, January 13, 2020

Why Can't Women Seem to Get Enough of True Crime? Rachel Monroe Explores

Savage Appetites: Four True Stories of Women, Crime, and ObsessionSavage Appetites: Four True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession by Rachel Monroe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I haven't read any other books by this author.

Was this book enjoyable? It was very interesting, and it also made me keep questioning my motives in being interested in it. A recurring theme in the book is why women are the primary audience for true crime media.

Did I learn anything new from this book? Yes, I learned about the four women covered as its subjects: Frances Glessner Lee (the first woman police captain in the U.S.), Alisa Statman (friend and possibly lover of Sharon Tate's sister Patti), Lorri Davis (who married Damien Wayne Echols while he was on death row for a murder for which he was later exonerated), and Lindsay Souvannarath (an American serving a life sentence in Canada for planning a massacre). I wasn't familiar with any of their names or stories before reading the book.

Where did I get this book? I checked out this audiobook from my local library using the Libby app.

Do I recommend this book to other readers? Yes, it's quite fascinating.

No comments: