Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Favorites from 'Hunger: A Feast of Sensual Tales of Sex and Gastronomy'


Some of my favorite stories from HUNGER A Feast of Sensual Tales about Sex and Gastronomy, edited by M. Christian and Alyn Rossellini (other than "Hungry Things," the one I wrote, of course):

I mentioned the other day that Susan St. Aubin's "A Meal" is a nice opener featuring brave writing and Dominic Santi's "Jeb's Wife" is some very sexy writing.

I also enjoyed "A is for Apple" by Jessica Lennox. It's about a playful sexual encounter between two women who've just met, involving a little light bondage. At first I thought the ending was a little abrupt, but when I got to the very last line and it suggested the lovers would play together again, I decided I liked the ending.

"Happy Birthday to Me" by Heidi Champa starts off on a melancholy note, at the unwelcome birthday party of a man who's lost his girlfriend. Marcus is sad, but the cake and the caterer who baked it make him start to feel a little better. She runs out of cake, but the lack can be made up for in other ways.

Billierosie's "Fruits de Mer" is gorgeous, gorgeous writing. Not a single word is out of place.

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the other tales in the anthology, but everyone has their own preferences, and these are the ones that particularly catered to mine. I do happen to have a favorite, though. It's "Un Apetito Robusto" by Cesar Sanchez Zapata. Set at a family-owned small vineyard in Italy, the tale is romantic, evocative and just plain delizioso.

Next I'll be reading an anthology to which I did not contribute: Seductress: Erotic Tales of Immortal Desire, edited by D.L. King. The theme is "succubi." Good stuff, lots of femme dom. Giselle Renarde has stories in both.

No comments: