Pages

Friday, August 9, 2019

'The Book That Changed America: How Darwin's Theory of Evolution Ignited a Nation'

Pro of this book: It allowed me to peek inside the intellectual lives of many of the American thinkers I studied in American Literature class many years ago: Bronson Alcott and his daughter Louisa May, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, et al.


Con of this book: This is no fault of the author's, but it's disappointing to see that some of the scientifically inaccurate and misleading arguments against Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, as presented in The Origin of Species, are still around and being used by "intelligent design" advocates now. Guys, if it wasn't scientifically accurate in the mid-to-late 19th century, you definitely have no business dragging it back it up now.

I borrowed the audio version of this book from my local library using the Libby app. I was not obligated in any way to review it.

No comments: