Monday, April 20, 2015

'Planet Simpson' Audiobook Review


Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a GenerationPlanet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Documented an Era and Defined a Generation by Chris Turner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I got a tremendous amount of pleasure from listening to this audiobook - but then, I've been a fan of the Simpson clan since the days of the Tracey Ullman shorts. Turner's writing is humorous and insightful. He does show a bit of bias, however, and I hope you won't think it too, as the French say, Lisa-esque of me to point out that Turner:

- Uses the word "mankind" when, clearly, he means "humankind"
- Uses the word "coed" when, clearly, he means "student" - an anachronism which, by the way, makes a person sound as if he or she is as old as Mr. Burns
- Assumes the reader finds Lisa shrill/strident/obnoxious while at the same time admitting she is the closest thing to the voice of the (almost exclusively male) writers
- Throws out the suggestion that Marge Simpson is "anti-feminist" because she's a homemaker, when in reality feminism is all about empowering women to have choices and to be homemakers if they choose to do so.

I could do without the casual sexism and anti-feminist assumptions. (And I am so sick of saying so. My queendom for an unabashedly feminist male author in the mainstream media!)

That said, Turner's analysis of the major characters and themes of the long-running cartoon series seem accurate. His overall thesis is useful in understanding one of the wittiest things on television, programming which has consistently entertained me for over 20 years now.

View all my reviews on Goodreads

I purchased this audiobook with my own funds and was not obligated to listen to or review it in any way.

No comments: