Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Josephine Baker in Berlin, Safi Coffee and WIP Wednesdays

It's Friday! I'm in love...with sharing my creative writing with the world. If you're joining me from the fabulous Shah Wharton's Weekend Creation Blog Hop, welcome!

Today, I'd like to spotlight "Josephine Baker in Berlin." In this stand-alone short story of just over 4,700 words:

An aging, lonely Josephine Baker has one last chance to dance across the stage, but only if she accepts an invitation to visit Berlin. The destination unlocks long-buried memories of the decadent pre-World War II Berlin, and of a beautiful young woman who reached out the star and eased her loneliness.


Find the e-book in every possible format at Smashwords for $.99. If you do read it, I would LOVE a review.

Jo Baker was a fearless, triumphant woman, and so is Shannon Mulholland, a United Nations emergency coordinator whose side project is Safi Coffee. The fair-trade company works with coffee growers in Kenya, helping them achieve higher living standards. The beans come right to your door, which is awesome, but the best part is how your morning cuppa joe could be doing some real good in the world.

FYI, I've been seriously considering Jane Friedman's advice to blog on a regular schedule. In her most recent article in Writing For Dollars!, Jennifer Brown Banks of the Pen & Prosper blog gives the same advice. So, having heard it from two different but authoritative sources, I believe I will henceforth institute WIP (Work In Progress) Wednesdays.

A lot of people like to do Wordless Wednesdays, with just a visual, but I'm not much of a visual artist. I like the sound of WIP Wednesdays because I can share about what I'm working on, and so can my guest bloggers. Look for that this coming Wednesday.

Send me an e-mail if you're a writer interested in being featured on an upcoming WIP Wednesday.

Update, January 2015: Find "Josephine Baker in Berlin" at my Etsy shop, Writer's Brain Has Wings.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218683872/josephine-baker-in-berlin-short-story-e



13 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Oh thanks for linking this up Erin. And I'm loving the WIP idea. I might email you with details of my novel at some point in the future. No point yet as its not nearly finished -its getting there in portions which one day I'm going to have to peice together like a puzzle. A weird way to write I know but at least this way I'm writing, where before I seemed stuck at chapter 12. ;D Whatever works! Shah. x

Erin O'Riordan said...

I'd be happy to have a post from you about a WIP, Shah.

It doesn't have to be a novel, by the way. The WIP could be a short story you're working on, a poem or an article. The guest post doesn't have to be long, either. It could be a paragraph. In fact, that might be fun, to have several different writers send in a blurb saying, "This week I'm working on..."

Laurie-J said...

Hi Erin!! What a wonderful idea to have a WIP Wednesday...I wish you all the best and that sounds like a great way to connect regularly with followers and those who are curious about the process.
Laurie

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Laurie.

In case any of my readers missed it, Laurie has an art/poetry book giveaway and an interview with the author on her blog today. Check it out!

Ann Rodela said...

Something about Josephine Baker makes her timeless and unforgettable. Maybe her courage and sensuality.

WIP, sounds interesting. Happy writing Erin. :)

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thank you, Anne, for stopping by. Have a good weekend.

Veronica Lee said...

Love the idea! Wishing you all the best!

And thanks for swinging by!

Have a nice day!

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thanks so much, Veronica. Happy blog hopping!

NAVAL LANGA said...

I follow your blog since long time. I like the contents you post here. I hope you would also like to visit my articles about painting.

Mughal Miniatures
Paintings of Mistresses: Fetching Millions

Mollie Cox Bryan said...

What a great idea. Funny, my current WIP is the third in a trilogy--the first book has yet to be published (Scrapbook of Secrets, Kensington). It will be out in February. I'm only four chapters in to the new one and I'm quite the pantser so forgive me if I'm a bit vague. Here's what I know so far. Cumberland Creek's newest resident, Emily McGlashen, an international Irish step dancing champion, is strangled with her ghillie laces in her dance studio. My lead character Annie Chamovitz, is a freelance journalist and starts to dig up some interesting information about Emily and her death. Mwhahaa!

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thank you, Naval, for stopping by once again. Your blog on paintings is extraordinary. I always love to look at the Frida Kahlos and the Georgia O'Keefes.

Mollie, thanks for the update! Your books sound really interesting, and I hope you'll stop by for WIP Wednesday.

กาแฟสด Aorabika Coffee said...

Sawasdee ka *-*
I come to visit you blog naka
lily

Erin O'Riordan said...

Well, thank you for coming by. I'm sure you have an opinion on whether Kenyan coffee is as good as the coffee from Thailand. I wouldn't know, since I have yet to taste either.