Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Independence Day, U.S. of A!

It's Fourth of July weekend, which means the U.S. will be celebrating our independence from England, hard won in the Revolutionary War of the 1770s. It's a weekend to celebrate our freedoms, especially those spelled out in the U.S. Constitution. As an erotica writer, I can assure you I appreciate the right the free speech. As a human being, I appreciate every bit of the Bill of Rights.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/208588716/bomb-pop-short-story-e-book




















My small Midwest USA town held its annual Summerfest last weekend. Tit Elingtin and I went down to snag our once-yearly allotment of fair food, which this year consisted of mashed red potatoes covered in sauteed green peppers, onions and mushrooms. (Tit has sirloin tips too, but I ate the veggie version.) It's an excellent place to people-watch. Let me set the scene for you: my little town is predominantly Caucasian, with a large population of the descendants of socioeconomically disadvantaged whites from the Southern U.S. who migrated in the early 20th century to work in a rubber factory that used to exist. These are the folks who show up at the park, kids in tow, to line up for the moon bounce, eat deep-fried elephant ears and get their faces painted. I love it. That face-painting is really artsy and cool, btw. The young guys walk around shirtless, trying to attract the attention of girls with butterflies on their faces.

The highlights of the fair were the live band, which kicked out some awesome covers, and the community stage performance of the campy tongue-in-cheek musical Xanadu.

Maybe the 4th of July weekend is your town's weekend to party. If you're inclined to drink alcohol, you might enjoy the red, white and blue Bomb Pop Shot, said to taste just like the popsicle some of us remember from childhood:

Red - Grenadine

White - Equal parts raspberry vodka, lemon vodka and lemon-lime soda

Blue - Blue Curacao

A skilled bartender can layer them in a shot glass by pouring them down the back of a spoon.

The appropriate reading material while enjoying this Fourth of July treat is "Bomb Pop" by Erin O'Riordan, from Noble Romance. It's only $1.50 for Kindle.

Bomb Pop (n): 1. A classic American frozen treat, a fruit-flavored popsicle in the red, white and blue of the American flag. 2. The story of Gretchen Malone, a second-grade teacher who normally keeps her wits about her, especially when it comes to workplace romances. That is, until hunky kindergarten teacher Thom Reno brings up a long-buried memory from summers past and a repressed schoolgirl crush along with it.

It gets good reviews:

"If you're looking for a quick read that's sweeter than candy and hotter than an August summer day, then 'Bomb Pop' by Erin O'Riordan is for you. Filled with sugary sweet metaphors that combine sex, popsicles and ice cream sundaes, this story will leave you craving a meltingly hot round of sweaty sex followed something icy cold and syrupy sweet to cool you off." ~Roxanne Rhoads (OystersAndChocolate.com)

"Well written, agreeable to read, inventive by times ... and most important of all: erotic. I can only congratulate the author for her taste and sensitivity in writing and style." ~Lena Vanelslander (Facebook)

"What happens when you get a teacher who equates men to a 'bomb pop?' A short story so steamy you will have to fan yourself when you're finished. 'Bomb Pop' is a great read! This is the first story I have read by Ms. O'Riordan but it won't be my last. She is definitely an author to keep an eye out for." ~Stephanie Wilson (Manic Readers)

"When I glanced at the cover for Bomb Pop I thought to myself, 'Not another popsicle induced fantasy.' But I loved the fact that the hero is not a school age boy but a fellow teacher and I so loved the scene where Thom goes down on Gretchen. Very bone melting! Over all, this story was a good quick read when you are on your 15 minute break from work. I can't wait to read more of her stuff." ~M. Duncan (Amazon)

So check it out. It's good dirty summer fun. Happy Independence Day!

2 comments:

shah wharton said...

Great post Erin. And the book sounds scorchio too! I'd get it but I find my appetite for anything none-paranormal/supernatural has long since died. (though I may get it for the heat-factor ;D)

Recently I read a book I disliked immensely for several reasons - mostly that it hinted at vampires and the only 'vampires' in it were rumors. The book was over -(over - moan) long too!It was almost torturous to get through. Called In the dark with you! Don't bother! Presently reading 'Pretty When She Lies' - loving it so far - around 2/3 through it.

Happy Independents day to you and yours. We don't celebrate it (being British ;D).
Shah. X

Erin O'Riordan said...

My short, steamy paranormal is "Oliver's Good Night Kiss." It features a love triangle between a pair of werewolves and a vampire chef.